Connecting to Sydney (USYD) VPN from Ubuntu
The University of Sydney pages only list instructions for how to connect via VPN from Windows, Mac, iPhone and Android, leaving Linux users out on their own (as usual). Luckily, it's pretty easy to establish a VPN connection from Ubuntu (and other distros):
- sudo apt-get install vpnc
- sudo vpnc
- Enter IPSec gateway address: vpn.usyd.edu.au
- Enter IPSec ID for vpn.usyd.edu.au: offcampus
- Enter IPSec secret for email@example.com: ********
- Enter username for vpn.usyd.edu.au: yourUnikey
- Enter password for yourUnikey@vpn.usyd.edu.au:
- VPNC started in background (pid: 7460)...
The IPSec secret for firstname.lastname@example.org is printed on this page (it's the same as the wireless profile).