Installing vmware-tools on Debian/Ubuntu
Recently I tried installing the vmware-tools package on a new Ubuntu 13.04 and also a new Debian 7 VMWare Fusion virtual machine. In both cases, the vmware-tools installed gave an error along the following lines:
- Searching for a valid kernel header path...
- The path "" is not a valid path to the 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel headers.
- Would you like to change it? [yes]
The solution to this is to install the necessary kernel headers and re-run the vmware-tools install script.
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install build-essential
- sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)